Public Policy Agenda
WakeEd Partnership is the business champion for public education in Wake County. These public policy priorities have been identified through dialogue with elected officials, business leaders, educators, nonprofit leaders, and parents. WakeEd encourages state and local policymakers to consider adopting these positions.
Successful Students in Every Classroom
- Ensure equal access for students to a world-class education which includes arts, sciences, mathematics, literature and 21st Century skills.
- Promote literacy initiatives which ensure all students will read proficiently by the end of third grade and beyond.
- Diversify student evaluation to include multiple measurement methods which capture the full growth of students each school year.
Excellent Educators in Every School
- Strengthen the career pipeline by creating multiple pathways to licensure, developing educational leaders, and providing adequate compensation throughout the professional continuum.
- Invest in professional development programs which build capacity of educators to adapt to emerging best practices and dynamic teaching methods.
- Create advanced teaching roles which inspire teachers to lead within their school communities by adopting structures of advanced responsibility.
Strong Schools in Every Community
- Provide adequate state and local public education funding which ensures every school has the proper staff, supplies, and support to produce high-achieving students.
- Formulate equitable school performance reports which are simple, but comprehensive, tools for demonstrating effectiveness and areas for growth.
- Address performance inequities among schools by giving local education authorities the flexibility to innovate at the district and school building levels.