SummerSTEM is a collaboration between WakeEd Partnership, the Wake County Public School System (WCPSS), and numerous STEM businesses and organizations in North Carolina. This eight-day professional development program exists to enrich the educator’s understanding of the knowledge and skills that are necessary to succeed in STEM careers.
During SummerSTEM, one-hundred educators from WCPSS schools engage in hands-on experiences designed to bring real-world lessons to the classroom.
For one week during the summer, they are immersed in STEM organizations to experience industry practices and in Wake Technical Community College classrooms to experience college-level applied STEM instruction. Throughout the year, mentors coach SummerSTEM educators in lesson design and project-based learning.
Professional Development Opportunities for Educators:
- Direct instruction in project-based learning
- Investigation in community college instruction in applied STEM fields
- Immersion in STEM work settings with STEM professionals
- Coaching in lesson design using feedback protocols
- Leadership experiences aligned with National Teacher Leader Model Standards
Community Engagement Opportunities for Businesses:
- Create interactive immersion experiences for educators that demonstrate the relationship between the classroom and the business world
- Support educators as they implement their SummerSTEM experiences into their classrooms
- Become a program sponsor so that more educators can attend SummerSTEM
WakeEd’s Annual STEMposium
STEMposium is an annual STEM symposium that highlights educator experiences and outcomes from SummerSTEM. Inspired educators and their students present their successful project-based learning units to the public.
Teams of two educators apply to participate. School administrators complete a portion of the application to demonstrate support for their teams.
STEM Businesses & Organizations
STEM businesses and organizations can offer to be host sites for educators and financially sponsor the event so more teachers can attend.
To learn more about SummerSTEM, contact:
Director of Programs
(919) 780-5235 | firstname.lastname@example.org