Connecting educators with stem professionals to enhance instruction in wake county public schools
SummerSTEM is a collaboration between WakeEd Partnership, the Wake County Public School System (WCPSS), and numerous STEM businesses and organizations in North Carolina. This eight-day professional development program exists to enrich the educator’s understanding of the knowledge and skills that are necessary to succeed in STEM careers.
During SummerSTEM, one-hundred educators from WCPSS schools engage in hands-on experiences designed to bring real-world lessons to the classroom.
For one week during the summer, they are immersed in STEM organizations to experience industry practices and in Wake Technical Community College classrooms to experience college-level applied STEM instruction. Throughout the year, mentors coach SummerSTEM educators in lesson design and project-based learning.
In three years, SummerSTEM has served…
Professional Development Opportunities for Educators:
- Direct instruction in project-based learning
- Investigation in community college instruction in applied STEM fields
- Immersion in STEM work settings with STEM professionals
- Coaching in lesson design using feedback protocols
- Leadership experiences aligned with National Teacher Leader Model Standards
Community Engagement Opportunities for Businesses:
- Create interactive immersion experiences for educators that demonstrate the relationship between the classroom and the business world
- Support educators as they implement their SummerSTEM experiences into their classrooms
- Become a program sponsor so that more educators can attend SummerSTEM
There is a saying, “treasure your wild ducks,” meaning value the outside-the-box thinkers and those who will try new things to push the envelope. IBM strives to live by this philosophy as they implement Agile and Design Thinking.
Have you ever thought about learning as a circuit? Our Wake Technical Community College experience today involved us experiencing how electrical circuits are created.
Have you ever wondered where the Coke Freestyle machines at Wendy’s and Five Guys come from? Turns out they were partially designed by the company who hosted our first immersion day for elementary, Plexus.
STEMposium is an annual STEM symposium that highlights educator experiences and outcomes from SummerSTEM. Inspired educators and their students present their successful project-based learning units to the public.
Teams of two educators apply to participate. School administrators complete a portion of the application to demonstrate support for their teams.
STEM Businesses & Organizations
STEM businesses and organizations can offer to be host sites for educators and financially sponsor the event so more teachers can attend.
706 Hillsborough Street, Suite A
Raleigh, NC 27603 | (919) 821-7609
*We're Moving! As of November 19, 2018, WakeEd Partnership
will be located at 3101 Industrial Drive, Suite 100 (Raleigh, NC)