Recipients of this award set a high standard for selfless dedication to the ongoing improvement of public education — moving from words to deeds that have a lasting impact.
Those nominated for the award must come from outside the field of education, be persuasive advocates for all children, and serve as an example for others. WakeEd accepts nominations year-round and the inductees are selected each June to be honored at our Stars of Education gala.
Please submit specific examples of your nominee that address the following qualities exemplified by the late Senator Vernon Malone:
- Nominee should have a history of unselfish service to public education in Wake County as a non-educator.
- Nominee should be passionate about maximizing the academic potential of every child.
- Nominee should have impressive and persuasive personal qualities.
Criteria for Nomination and Selection
- This award is presented annually at Wake Education Partnership’s public education celebration to a Wake County citizen who demonstrates the qualities, leadership and traits listed above.
- Nominations will not be accepted for those who are current WCPSS employees or current elected officials.
- The nominee should not be a professional educator; rather he/she should be an individual who is serving, or has served, professionally in a field other than education and who serves, or has served, public education in Wake County through community and volunteer efforts.
- Nominations are solicited from the former recipients of the Vernon Malone Friend of Education Award.
- The Selection Committee is comprised of the Partnership’s leadership and representatives of former recipients of the Award.
If you have any further questions please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org